So you visited and fell in love with Salt Spring Island – and now you’ve decided to move here. Welcome to the club!
We’ve put together this section of the website to help you understand a little more of what it’s like to live here, the things you’ll need to know to plan your move – and help you find the house of your dreams. Find a realtor here >>
Salt Spring Island Facilities:
Salt Spring is the largest of the Southern Gulf Islands with the largest population. It offers:
- A Hospital – with a small emergency department.
- Schools – 3 elementary schools (Ganges, Fulford, Fernwood), a middle school and a Gulf Islands Secondary School (GISS) high school (Ganges). In addition Salt Spring has:
- Daycare: There are a few daycares on Salt Spring Island including Treefrog Daycare in Fulford, Salt Spring Cooperative Preschool Society in Ganges and The Little Red Schoolhouse Preschool next to Beaver Point Hall in the south end. Also, The Family Place in Ganges located behind the Community Centre provides a “hub” for early childhood services on Salt Spring, and is a great place to research the right daycare for you.
- Salt Spring’s new library – located on McPhillips Avenue in Ganges.
- 3 Banks – Island Savings Credit Union (includes insurance, mortgages, investments), CIBC and BMO.
- Many dentists!
- An optician and a separate glasses frames & fittings store.
- 2 Vets, the main one being Gulf Islands Veterinary Clinic on Lower Ganges Road.
- Insurance Agencies – Sea First Insurance and insurance and mortgage services in the Island Savings Credit Union.
- 2 Gas Stations – both in Ganges
- 4 village communities – Ganges, Fulford, Vesuvius & Fernwood.
- 3 Ferry Terminals – Ganges, Fulford & Vesuvius.
- 2 Supermarkets – Thrifty’s in Ganges Town Centre and Country Grocer in the Upper Village. Also Natureworks Food & Health Store. In the south end, there is the Salt Spring Mercantile for your smaller day-to-day grocery needs.
Other Useful Sites
- Our very own “Craigs List” in the form of The Salt Spring Exchange!
- The Gulf Islands Driftwood Newspaper (get yourself an annual subscription delivered to your door)
Salt Spring Government:
The Capital Regional District (CRD)
Salt Spring Island is an unincorporated Electoral District within the CRD. The CRD incorporated in 1966 and serves as the local government making decisions and managing local government services for the Gulf Islands and Southern tip of Vancouver Island. Click here to learn more about the CRD >>
Many of the CRD administrative functions for Salt Spring Island are handled from the local Salt Spring office including Parks & Recreation, Transit and Transportation, Drinking Water, Emergency Services, Emergency Preparedness, Waste & Recycling, Building Inspections and Bylaw Enforcement.
In addition the CRD has established a number of Commissions to allow the community to provide input into the delivery of some CRD services. Click here to see a list of these CRD commissions >>
The Salt Spring Islands Trust
Community planning and land use decisions are made by The Salt Spring Islands Trust.
- Check out our Official Community Plan (OCP) to learn more about the principles that guide our local planners.
PLEASE NOTE: While we try to stay up-to-date, we cannot guarantee this is the most up-to-date version of the plan. Visit the Islands Trust Website >> for the the latest OCP, including maps and bylaw amendments.
Planning to run a business or work from home on Salt Spring Island? Check out the local land-use bylaws >>
Meeting People and Things to Do
There is lots to do for residents on Salt Spring Island – year round. We have many clubs, societies and more volunteering opportunities than you can shake a stick at.